Cleveland Housing Network – Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

chnEvery year, hundreds of people die and thousands are injured from unsuspected exposure to an odorless, colorless gas—carbon monoxide (CO). Studies by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicate that, while people recognize CO gas is poisonous, they perceive CO as less dangerous than other household hazards.

CO poisoning is most prevalent when furnaces are turned back on to fight cold winter temperatures, but also commonly occur after summer and winter storms and accompanying power outages, when people tend to rely on portable generators for electricity.

The Cleveland Housing Network (CHN) operates numerous programs to assist with energy conservation and weatherization. CHN averages 8,000 energy conservation jobs a year. Whenever an inspector is dispatched to a property, if there is not a working CO detector and/or smoke detector one is installed.

During cold weather it is important to provide simple reminders to encourage individuals to protect themselves and their families:

  • Install battery-operated CO detectors near every sleeping area in your home.
  • Check CO detectors regularly to be sure they are functioning properly.
  • Have gas or oil furnaces inspected by a qualified professional every year.
  • Never use a generator inside the home or garage, even if doors and windows are open.
  • Only use generators and power washers outside, more than 20 feet away from the home, doors, and windows.
  • Never use a charcoal grill inside the home.

About Cleveland Housing Network
CHN’s mission is to build strong families and vibrant neighborhoods through quality affordable housing and strengthened financial stability. Check out more info at www.chnnet.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *